Sacramental preparation for Reconciliation, Eucharist and Confirmation is a two-year process. Children are to be in religious education or faith formation classes one year prior to the year in which the sacrament is to be celebrated.
Preparing students for the Sacrament of Confirmation involves a partnership among the youth, their families, parishioners, catechists, and staff.
In seventh grade, the foundations of faith formation are presented in a classroom setting with an emphasis on Church history, prayer, sacraments, and an ongoing exploration of sacred scripture.
In eighth grade, students strengthen their faith by delving deeper into Catholic teachings and traditions. Emphasis is placed on the exploration of sacred scripture and the sacrament of Confirmation. Throughout the year, students are encouraged to develop their understanding of their commitment to the promises made for them at Baptism, and to discern the meaning of Confirmation in their lives.
We have also developed a special track for students of high school age who want to enter into preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation.Students who attend this program are usually ones that have moved to the Archdiocese of Washington from a diocese that celebrates the sacrament within the high school years. If your child does not meet this criterion, please contact the Coordinator of Youth Ministries so that she may guide you through the process.
Basic Program Requirements
· A Roman Catholic Baptismal certificate
· Family must be registered in the parish
· Student must attend Religious Education in seventh and eighth grades (in a parish program or in a Catholic school)
Specific Requirements for Confirmation
· Registration in the Confirmation program
· Completion of 2 years of Religious Education in a parish program or in a Catholic school (See guidelines for R.E., Holy Trinity School, and Private Catholic School Students)
· Attendance at all sacramental preparation classes, special sessions and retreat
· Parent participation at two evening workshops
· Affirmation of baptismal name or selection of confirmation name
Sponsor must be a confirmed Catholic 16 years of age or older.
Sponsor must be active in his/her faith and Christian life (active participation means that the sponsor regularly attends Mass and is involved in the mission of the parish).
Sponsor may not be the candidate’s father or mother (preferably, the sponsor is someone outside of the immediate family).
A completed Registration Packet includes the registration form with sponsor information, the retreat permission form, baptism certificate and fee. Both the Registration Form and Retreat Permission Form require the parent's/guardian and child's signatures. Please print and complete the forms with original signatures.
Should you have any questions, please contact Justine Javier, Coordinator of Youth Ministries at 202-903-2814