The Parish Center remains closed during COVID-19. The parish staff is working remotely and available to contact. Please see COVID-19 Response and Readiness for more information about operating status, ways to stay connected, and resources for prayer. Holy Trinity continues to offer a baptism preparation class virtually and has developed a plan to offer opportunities to celebrate infant baptisms.
Infant baptism (for children newborn to six years old) is a Sacrament of Initiation that welcomes a child into our faith community of Catholic Christian believers, and is the celebration that begins the faith life of the child in and with Christ. Together with the parents, godparents present an infant for baptism and help raise the child in the faith.
|Baptism Preparation Class||Saturday, March 13||Registration deadline: March 5|
|Rite of Baptism||Sunday, April 11||Fully booked|
|Baptism Preparation Class||Monday, April 12||Registration deadline: April 4|
|Rite of Baptism||Sunday, April 18||Fully booked|
|Rite of Baptism||Sunday, April 25||Fully booked|
|Baptism Preparation Class||Saturday, May 1||Registration deadline: April 24|
|Rite of Baptism||Sunday, May 2||Fully booked|
|Rite of Baptism||Sunday, May 16||Fully booked|
|Baptism Preparation Class||Monday, June 7||Registration deadline: May 29|
The Rite of Baptism is not celebrated during Lent. There is no Baptism Preparation Class offered in July.
Baptism Preparation Class
Prior to baptism (here at Holy Trinity or elsewhere), parents are expected to participate in a sacramental preparation program for baptism, a one-hour class offered by our Faith Formation ministry. A baptism date is not required to schedule the class. To register for the baptism preparation class or if you have questions about the class, please complete the registration form below and return to REAdmin@trinity.org. Given the pandemic, classes are delivered online.
Celebrating Rite of Baptism At Holy Trinity
We will celebrate Baptism weekly on Sunday afternoon with families individually. To reserve a date and time for your child’s baptism, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Given the fluctuating nature of the current pandemic, baptisms are currently being scheduled only on a short-term basis (one to three months in advance).
Please be sure to:
- review the parish’s COVID-19 Covenant (here)
- complete or register for a baptism preparation class (see above)
- complete and return the baptism information form (provided when a date and time is secured)
On the day of baptism, please arrive early and remain in the waiting area. Your child should be dressed in a white garment, but Holy Trinity provides the other symbols used in the sacrament. You will receive the signed baptism certificate and baptism candle to take home.
Baptisms in the time of COVID
- Celebrations will take place either inside the Chapel or outside in the Chapel Garden–families may indicate preference.
- Each family may have only 10 people in each party, including baby, parents, and godparents.
- If selected godparents are unable to attend, proxy godparents are of course permitted. The selected godparents will still be listed on the baptism certificate. Proxy godparents should meet the same criteria for godparents. If the selected godparents are unable to attend, they may participate virtually, but a proxy godparent is required and must be present in person.
- Face coverings are required for everyone, except for children under two years of age.
- Please bring your child dressed in his/her white garment for baptism–there are no restrooms, changing table, or separate place to feed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does Mayor’s Order 2020-081 apply to people attending a baptism at Holy Trinity?
A: Yes–we expect all attendees will be in compliance with the DC travel restrictions (last update November 27 here).
Q: Will the presider hold our baby?
A: Parents should hold the child–parents and child will come forward for baptism, godparents will also come forward, but stand at a distance.
Q: Are there precautions to keep the holy water as sanitary as possible?
A: Only fresh water will be used for each child.
Celebrating Baptism Away From Holy Trinity
For more information about requests related to celebrating baptism away from Holy Trinity (either as a parishioner or a godparent) please see Sacramental Records for further information.
Requesting Copies of Baptism Certificate
If you or your child was previously baptized at Holy Trinity and you require a copy of the baptism certificate, please see Sacramental Records for further information.