Message from the Pastor
What an amazing year 2019 was for the parish! In celebrating the 225th Anniversary of our chapel, we remembered our parish’s grace-filled past. Inspired by this past week's Jeopardy: Greatest of All Time Tournament—did you watch any of the fantastic shows?—I have come up with a series of Jesuit Jeopardy-style clues to test your memories and look back on the year:
- The 200th/225th Anniversary Benefit was held at this restaurant on the Georgetown waterfront.
- Holy Trinity received this nonprofit’s 2019 Community Leadership Award at their annual Living in the City benefit.
- The Georgetowner recently named this collective group as “Georgetowners of the Year” because they are a “work in progress and in love.”
- The Holy Trinity Columbarium at Holy Rood was blessed and opened on this Holy Day.
- The parish staff last year included this pair, the youngest and the oldest Jesuits to serve in 2019.
- Last spring, this parish speaker discussed her service on the Papal Commission, exploring the possibility for women’s diaconate ordination.
- This Jesuit coordinated the meeting of cardinals in Rome as well as served on a panel with Holy Trinity parishioners.
- The most recently-installed Auxiliary Bishop in the Archdiocese of Washington, this priest came to the parish last year to confirm more than 100 Holy Trinity 8th graders.
- The first Catholic pilgrims to the colony of Maryland settled in this city, where Holy Trinity parishioners visited in 2019 as part of a history bus tour.
- Like the Nationals, this team of Holy Trinity School students was crowned champions after winning the City Tournament.
- At midnight Mass, the Resurrection of Jesus was celebrated when this church symbol functioned properly for the first time in years.
- In August, America magazine published an article written by this parishioner that describes the parish’s “Season of Discernment” in response to the sexual abuse crisis.
- Named for “Ol’ Blue Eyes” and because he likes to do things his way, this parish late night security creature helps keep the mice away.
- The parish’s anniversary timeline, installed last January, features these three presidents related to Holy Trinity’s history.
- Inspired by historical figures, this event added a distinct form of drama in the newly-repaired church.
If you think you know all (or most) of the correct responses, please send your guesses to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 21. Although it may not be quite as good as the $1 million Jeopardy GOAT prize, I will treat the winning
parishioner to dinner on a mutually agreeable date!
—The Jeopardy Jesuit,
Rev. C. Kevin Gillespie, S.J.