Celebrating Marriage at Holy Trinity
Who may marry at Holy Trinity?
- Active Parishioners: One or both parties of a wedding couple must be an active, contributing member of the parish for at least one year before the requested wedding date. Parishioners are considered active when they are formally registered and show a history of contribution and/or ministry involvement. Children of active parishioners are eligible to celebrate their marriage at Holy Trinity. The 3:00pm time is reserved for active parishioners.
- Roman Catholics who live within the parish boundary: Roman Catholics who live within the parish boundary, but who have no formal relationship with the parish, are welcome to speak to parish staff about establishing a relationship with the parish before setting a date for their wedding. The parish boundary includes Georgetown south of Calvert Street NW to the Potomac River and bounded on the west by 44th Street NW and the east by 31st Street NW.
- Non-Parishioners: Couples who are not parishioners are welcome to celebrate their weddings at Holy Trinity provided that one party is a practicing Roman Catholic. The couple must provide their own priest or deacon to preside at the wedding, including the preparation of a Sacramental File. Non-parishioners may celebrate their marriages at 10:00am or 12:00pm.
What is the availability of wedding dates and times?
- To inquire about availability of the church, couples should contact the parish no less than six months before the requested wedding date and preferably a year in advance. Weddings are scheduled on Saturdays only at 10:00am, 12:00pm and 3:00pm in the Church or Chapel.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with dates and times to explore and parishioner status and involvement to date.
- Review the policies provided before moving forward with reserving a wedding date and time.
Marriage Preparation Program/Pre-Cana Class at Holy Trinity
Prior to marriage (at Holy Trinity or elsewhere), couples are expected to participate in a Sacramental Preparation Program.
Parishioners and non-parishioners may register for the class, but note that the class does not include the preparation of the Sacramental File which is required for all Catholic marriages. The priest/deacon who will preside at your wedding is responsible for working with you on your file. If your wedding is somewhere other than Holy Trinity and/or you are not a registered parishioner of Holy Trinity, please contact your priest/deacon at least 6 months prior to the date of the wedding to get started on your file.
To register for the marriage preparation class or if you have questions about the class, please complete the registration form below and return to REAdmin@trinity.org.
- Marriage Preparation Calendar 2022 – 2023
- If you are unable to attend a session at Holy Trinity, you may attend one of these other approved marriage preparation programs.
- Marriage Preparation Class Registration Form
Resources for Couples Celebrating Marriage at Holy Trinity
Celebrating Marriage Away from Holy Trinity
Who may complete sacramental file preparation at Holy Trinity before a wedding celebrated in another parish?
Couples who have been active parishioners (formally registered and parish records show a history of contribution and/or ministry involvement) for at least one year before the date of their wedding may work with one of the parish priests to prepare a Sacramental File for a marriage ceremony celebrated in another parish.
Contact should be made no less than six months before the wedding date. If the marriage is to be celebrated internationally, contact must be made no less than nine months before the wedding date.
Please contact Holy Trinity’s Wedding Coordinator at email@example.com with parishioner status and involvement to date.
Who may receive a parishioner permission letter from Holy Trinity before a wedding celebrated in another parish?
Couples who have been active parishioners (formally registered and parish records show a history of contribution and/or ministry involvement) for at least one year before the date of their wedding may request a parishioner permission letter. Please contact Holy Trinity’s Wedding Coordinator to request this document.
Resources for Couples Celebrating Marriage Away from Holy Trinity