First Penance and First Eucharist
Jesus Christ is truly present in our midst. The Sacrament of Penance with the Rite of Reconciliation is an encounter with Jesus resulting in the forgiveness of sins and restoring us to God’s grace. The Eucharist is the most profound way we encounter the real presence of Jesus Christ. In the Archdiocese of Washington, children celebrate the Sacrament of Penance prior to First Eucharist.
How do you know if your son or daughter is ready to receive First Reconciliation? Click here.
Does your son or daughter meet these requirements for preparation to celebrate these sacraments?
- Is he/she at least seven years old?
- Has he/she been baptized in the Catholic Church?
- Has he/she been enrolled for at least two years (including the 2023-2024 school year) in
- A parish school?
- A faith formation program?
- An independent Catholic school?
If the answer to all three questions is yes, then you can begin the preparation process!
- Complete the online enrollment process by August 15, 2023. Click here to begin the online registration process for First Reconciliation/First Eucharist.
- Plan to actively participate in the preparation. Part of the preparation for Reconciliation and Eucharist is the conversation and discussion you will have with your child at home. You will receive sacramental textbooks that your child will complete with your help. In the winter you will complete the Reconciliation textbook together. In the spring you will complete the Eucharist textbook.
There are several parent meetings/reflections for each sacrament, and it is expected that parents attend those not listed as optional.
December 10, 2023 – Parent Reflection on the Sacrament of Penance, 10:15 am, Trinity Hall
January 28, 2024 – Parent Reflection on the Sacrament of the Eucharist, 10:15 am, Trinity Hall
February 15, 2024 – Sacrament of Penance: A Review (optional), 7:00 pm on Zoom
February 24 or March 2, 2024 – Retreat and First Penance, 9:00 am – 12:00pm
March 10, 2024 – The Eucharist: A Deeper Dive (optional), 10:15 am, Trinity Hall
April/ May 2024 – Celebration of First Eucharist at various Masses