Sister Parish: El Salvador
Parishioner Lead: Margie Legowski
In November 1989 six Jesuits and two women were killed by El Salvadoran military at the University of Central America. Following their martyrdom, Fr. Jim Maier, S.J. launched a partnership with Maria Madre de los Pobres in San Salvador, a poor barrio parish of San Salvador. Fr. Maier led groups of parishioners to El Salvador on more than one occasion. In 2020 this twinning partnership celebrates 30 years.
The Maria Madre committee continues to raise awareness of the gang violence and extreme poverty facing those in our sister parish in El Salvador and to help people connect them to the need for migration and asylum.
Maria Madre and Holy Trinity have walked together through civil war, gang violence, floods, earthquakes, and now through a pandemic. No matter the challenge, our Maria Madre sisters and brothers have believed - and taught us - that God is always with us.
- Maria Madre de los Pobres Donation
- Maria Madre things to do.
- Holy Trinity God Parent Program
- Equipo de Paz (Committee for Peace and Violence Prevention)
- The Community-wide Committee for Peace and Violence Prevention (Equipo de Paz), which includes youth and adult representatives from each of the 22 communities in which our sister parish is located, continues to oversee a growing number of neighborhood-based health, positive youth development, and family education programs. The committee includes representatives from the Office of the Mayor of San Salvador, the National Institute for Youth (INJUVE), and the Jesuit University of El Salvador (UCA) all of whom provide in-kind services for the group's activities.